There has been a Church School serving Cockerton village since 1824, when the Anglican Church authorities were given a cottage on the green. The small schoolroom was soon outgrown by the increasing number of pupils and was replaced by a National School in 1825. The school played a vital role for the community: village meetings, social events and evening classes were held here, and there was also a village library and a reading room. The original buildings on the village green were repeatedly extended, until in 1925, a new school was built with four classrooms, a veranda and a paved playground. The old school continued to be used by senior pupils until 1960, when it was finally demolished. The hall, kitchen, staffroom and offices were subsequently added to the new building. The school was extended in 1999 to provide two new classrooms and again in 2001 to provide a small computer room.
We now have 7 classes (one for each primary school year group) and have capacity for 210 pupils on roll, aged from 4 – 11. In 2008 we moved into a brand new building (opposite), a project which has seen state of the art facilities provided for all of our pupils, and which allow us to support our community through car parking for St Mary’s Church, and hiring of our hall to groups like Darlington Operatic Society, yoga classes and Locomotion (a local boys’ choir).
Our current headteacher, Mrs Aitken, joined us in 2015 and to better reflect our close links with St. Mary's Church, we changed names from Cockerton Primary school to St. Mary's Cockerton. So now, we look forward to seeing where St. Mary's Cockerton goes in the future!